Ahhhhh enchilada sauce… yum.
I couldn’t quite figure out if I loved enchilada sauce because I associated it with a sh!t ton of cheese, chips and salsa, and a big ole margarita… or because it is just that good.
This simple sauce proves the latter.
It’s amazing… smokey, flavorful, the perfect amount of heat, and jusssssst thick enough to make it feel indulgent.
I’ll keep this short and sweet…
Oh and sorry for the less than appetizing looking photo.
Just try it… on anything. Enchiladas, chicken, (oh, which reminds me I need to post my enchilada sauce baked chicken recipe), over rice, over eggs, hell eat it with a spoon if you want… just try it!
- 1 15 ounce can low sodium tomato sauce
- 3-4 smashed and minced cloves of garlic
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- ½ tsp chili powder - or more to your tastes for spice
- ½ tsp tomato paste
- a dash of salt and pepper
- Throw all ingredients into a sauce pan over medium heat
- Bring to a slight bubble - this will take about 5-7 minutes
- Reduce heat to low-medium
- Let simmer while stirring occasionally for about 15-20 minutes or until all flavors meld together