June 6, 2021
Food Guide – Black Bean Cheese Taquitos
Black Bean Cheese Taquitos – these simple vegetarian Taquitos are a great appetizer or main course! Serve with all your favorite toppings!
Everyone loves our chicken Taquitos recipe, it is one of the most popular recipes on our site. This is also one of the most popular Recipes in our House! Our boys always ask for Taquitos for dinner.
When we make Taquitos, I always make vegetarian Taquitos for me and I thought it was time I shared the recipe so you could make them too! These black bean cheese Taquitos are super easy to make and are perfect for an appetizer or dinner.
What are Taquitos?
Taquitos are basically rolled up Tacos. Small rolled Tortillas are traditionally stuffed with chicken, beef or cheese, but I used black beans and vegetables for my vegetarian version. Taquitos are usually fried, but we like to bake them in the oven to keep things healthier. A Taquito is different from a Flauta, Taquitos are made with corn tortillas and Flautas with flour tortillas.
How to make homemade Taquitos
Taquitos are simple and fun at home. Here are some tips for making Taquitos!
- For vegetarian Taquitos, I make a filling with black beans, cheese, red pepper, corn, coriander, green onions, lime juice, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, Paprika, salt and pepper. You will not miss the meat, because there are many delicious flavors!
- Be sure to rinse well and drain the black beans.
- Use 6-inch fresh corn tortillas. Your tortillas roll much easier when fresh. In order for the Tortillas to roll better and not crack, take two wet paper towels and place two Tortillas at the same time between the paper towels. Place in the microwave for 20-30 seconds. Remove from the microwave and roll the Taquitos.
- Place a tablespoon of black bean mixture in the center of the Tortilla and sprinkle with grated cheese on top. Roll the Tortilla tightly. Place the Taquito on a greased baking sheet with the seam down. Continue rolling the Taquitos until the Tortillas and stuffing are gone. You should have about 20 Taquitos.
- Do not fill the Tortillas, otherwise they will not roll and remain closed.
- Spray the Taquitos generously with a non-stick cooking spray before putting them in the oven. If you do not spray them well, they will not be crispy in the oven. Bake for 17-23 minutes or until Taquitos are golden and crispy.
The best thing about Taquitos, besides the fact that they are crispy rolled Tacos, is the filling! We always load our Taquitos with lots of delicious toppings. Here are some of our Favorites:
- pico De gallo
- chopped Salad
- sour cream or Greek yogurt
- sliced green onions
- grated cheese
- queso fresco
- salsa dancing