June 22, 2021
Foodies Guide – Caprese Breakfast Casserole
Caprese Breakfast Casserole – this simple egg casserole with Mozzarella, tomatoes and basil is prepared in a frying pan and is perfect for breakfast or Brunch!
Best Breakfast Casserole
I look forward to Christmas brunch all year round. This is one of my favorite dishes of the year that I can enjoy with family and friends. We all go out and make all our favorite foods for breakfast. I always make sure that we have a breakfast casserole on the menu, as they are easy to prepare and are a real pleasure for the public.
This Caprese casserole is on our menu this year. This is the perfect breakfast casserole for the holidays, because it is pretty to serve and so delicious! It is prepared with fresh Mozzarella, tomatoes and basil, just like the traditional Caprese salad, but in an egg casserole. Our family loves it and I think you will too!
How to make a Caprese breakfast casserole
Breakfast casseroles are perfect for enjoyment, as they feed a lot and come together in no time. All the ingredients go to a saucepan, and the casserole is baked in the oven. You can’t beat that!
- First fry the onion and garlic in olive oil and set aside.
- For this casserole recipe you will need 18 large eggs. Yes, 18! The recipe makes a 9×13 inch casserole and you want a nice thick egg casserole. Whisk eggs and milk.
- Stir in a Cup of grated mozzarella cheese and set aside ½ cup for the top of the casserole. Add tomatoes, fresh basil, salt and pepper.
- I like to use grape tomatoes cut in half for this recipe because they are not too juicy and hold well.
- Be sure to use fresh basil, not dried. Fresh basil has so much flavor and gives the casserole a pretty green color. Do not finely chop the basil, give it coarsely, so that you can always stir decent-sized basil leaves into the casserole.
- Pour into a greased 9×13-inch skillet and sprinkle the remaining grated mozzarella cheese over the casserole.
- Place the pan in the oven and bake for 45-60 minutes. You do not need to cover the casserole. You will know when the breakfast casserole is ready, when the top is golden brown and the eggs are firm to the touch. The casserole should not be fragile.
- Remove from the oven and cool for 10 minutes before cutting into squares.
- Store the covered cooked breakfast casserole in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.